It seems like the food photography craze has hit an all new peak in the last few months. Everywhere you look a blogger has a post about their tricks and tips about food photography. I am a huge fan of these posts because you can glean tidbits from them but most of the time it is all recycled material using their pics and their words. Sometimes you need to go somewhere you can learn. You need an expert or at least someone who has a lot of experience. I have been studying a lot about food photography the past month and a half, so much so that I have a little running list of resources I love. I thought it would be neat to share some of them with you.
First we should start with tutorials that explain not only food photography but the props and equipment you need. I found these doing a basic Google search and immediately bookmarked them.
Learn how to be the Hugh Hefner of Food Photography. No, seriously. They don’t call it food porn for nothing. You want to make your readers salivate when they see your image. That can be totally achieved by following these basic steps.
Of course you are not going to get anywhere unless you can style your food. Think of the food as your model and you need to dress her, adorn her, and make her look good for the camera. Sure you can slap last nights dinner on a plate and snap a pic, but is that really appetizing? Again, it falls back to making your readers want to eat the food. I have been through several sites on line but the best resource I have found is a book by Delores Custer- Food Styling: The Art of Preparing Food for the Camera. You don’t need to buy it, you can get it from your local library most likely. But if you really want a resource online I suggest you look at this one:
- 6 Bittersweets- My Take on Food Photography and Styling ( I chose this one out of all the ones available because her images are breathtaking in my opinion)
Sometimes you need inspiration. I am not telling you to copy someones work, I am telling you to get inspiration for your own pics. Inspiration is all around you, you just have to open your eyes. Of course since this is about food it is only fitting to include some great sites with amazing food photography! Here is some of my favorites:
- Annie’s Eats – She is like my idol, seriously. When I go to her blog I have to block out at least 30 minutes of my day because I get drawn in. Not only is food photography amazing, but her blog is so welcoming. I adore the design!
- Sowmya’s Kitchen- The post I just linked to captured my attention the moment I saw it. It is an amazing shot and I honestly felt like I could reach out and grab it. I just found this blog recently but she is already a favorite!
- Bakers Royale- I love this site because it is rustic. Nothing is more eye catching than a beautiful meal or dessert on a rustic background.
- Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice- This is one of my all time favorite food blogs. Enough said.
I know this list is short but I really just wanted to give you the basics of my favorites in hopes you may find something that inspires you!
Where are some of your favorite UNIQUE places to find tips on food photography?Image courtesy of OlkaCF’s